Capturing Breath on Film
Mark this moment in your life with your breath, your heart beat and your thoughts captured on a single piece of film.
Create evidence of the space between the words.
The truth of who you are expressed in a photograph.
On August 18th, 2016 I'll be celebrating 29 years of continuous sobriety. Some might call this Recovery... I like to call it 29 years of Discovery. This date not only marks the accumulation of many days without any mood altering substances, it also marks the beginning of my 30th year. here. with you. with myself. and all of the things in between.
When I first got sober, it was suggested to do "30 in 30". That's 30 AA meetings in 30 days. It helps create a new habit, distracts you from the old ones and allows for the light to get into the cracks in profound and unexpected ways. As I move through my 30th year I've decided to do a metaphoric "30 in 30" by offering 30 photo session events in 30 cities.
I'm taking my 4x5 large format camera and the New 55 film and hitting the road.
As most of you know who have taken my courses, workshops or have seen my work on Instagram or in galleries, I've been creating self portraits with long exposures for as long as I've been sober.
My feeling is that when I leave the camera open to document what's happening for longer than the usual setting of a 60th of a second, the camera is able to see the things that live in between the words. The places that are unseen but deeply felt. My heart beat. My essence. Clues about my life that live underneath the surface of everyday reality.
It becomes a time capsule that holds evidence of worlds seen and unseen.
I'm Capturing Breath on Film.
This photography project, Capturing Breath on Film, is an opportunity for you to experience and capture who you are underneath the surface of words, written or spoken.
This can be a time for reflection, celebration or transition.
This is for you if:
- you want to mark this time in your life for a personal reason.
- you're falling in love and want to capture the essence inside of you on film.
- you've just ended a relationship and you're looking at your identity in a new way.
- you're embarking on a new career and you want to celebrate yourself.
- you're celebrating your sobriety, your birthday, your anniversary.
- you just got engaged
- You just got married
- a women's circle
- grief, loss.
- full moon circle, mark the release of what no longer serves you.
- retreat: I come in to add this dimension to your sacred time together.
- pop-up event: music, food, photography
- you're ready to let go of a negative way of thinking or something that you are ready to release.
- you want to capture your intentions for yourself as you embrace your highest potential.
- you've decided it's time to give yourself permission to show up more fully in your life.
- you're in a stuck place and want to shake things up, make some art with me.
- you know it's time and you don't know why, but you feel the pull to do this.
- you want to take this to the next level and do a session during each season, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring. Or for every month of the year for your own documentation of yourself. ( Someone has already booked with me to do this project every month for the year as she allows herself to be seen. )
During the photo session I'll be taking 5 photos of you. Each being a long exposure, capturing this time in your life and marking it for yourself. You can journal beforehand if you like, to get down to the essence of what you want to be thinking about and feeling during the photo session.
We will work together in co-creation of this series of images.
Each image holds your secrets, your whispered conversations with yourself and with the universe. This isn't about creating the perfect portrait. This is about creating something altogether potent and powerful, meaningful and other worldly.
In the end I'll be scanning your photos when I get back to my studio, and printing 1 photo ( that you chose the day of our session ) and printing it 4x5" and mailing it to you. *Shipping costs apply outside the US.
If you feel called for a larger image on your wall, You can order an 8x10", 11x1"4 or 16x20" print that will be printed on professional paper and mailed to you. ( Shipping is not included in the printing price. )
Essentially I'll be photographing my version of God for an entire year. ( I've often told people that I experience connecting with God when I look through the lens of my camera and see You looking back at me. It often brings me to tears during photo sessions and joy filled laughter. ) For me, that is a form of healing medicine.
Where will I be?
Capturing Breath on Film :: Tour Locations ( Most Dates TBD )
Workshops are limited to 10 people. I need 4 people minimum to make the workshop happen in your city.
If you see your city listed and would like to host me at your home and hold the workshop there, please contact me. ( you'll receive the workshop, photo session, photograph for free in exchange for this generous offering. I'll ask that you help me spread the word about the event to your friends and loved ones. )
If you don't see your city listed and you'd like me to head your way, let me know. As you can see I've left room on my list below for your unlisted city to be added.
If you're having a specific life event happen at a specific time during the year and you want me there, email me so we can create it!
If you'd like to be a part of the workshop in your area, contact me so I can secure your spot.
** Locations in BOLD are confirmed events with a scheduled date and is being hosted
- Paris, France :: August 18th :: Come join us in Paris for photography and CAKE to celebrate the beginning of the project and my 29th year of sobriety. ( If you are in Paris August 18-30th and want to be a part of this project, email me as I am scheduling individual sessions through out the month )
- Cannes, France :: September 7th :: ( This event is sold out. )
- Umbria, Italy :: Sept 17:: This is a private event.
- Copenhagen, Denmark::
- Barcelona, Spain::
- San Diego, CA :: October 24-25th :: Hosted by Charmaine Haworth
- Orange County, CA::
- Los Angeles, CA::
- San Francisco, CA :: December 3rd :: Hosted by Tina Foster
- Portland, OR ::
- Seattle, WA :: February 4th-5th:: Hosted by Deb Achek
- Vancouver, BC, CANADA
- New Zealand
- Brisbane, Australia
- Mpls, MN :: April 29th :: Hosted by Amy Meszaros
- Nashville, TN :: Hosted by Rebecca Vine. Dates TBD
- Boston, MA:: May 13 - 14th :: Hosted by Sam Hiser ( Creator of New 55 film )
- NYC, NY :: May 21-22 :: Kelly Beck
- Toronto, Canada ::
- Santa Fe, NM
- Albuquerque, NM::Dates TBD ::
- Boulder, CO
- Salt Lake City, Utah:: June 10th::Hosted by Kim Sevy::
- Chicago, Il::
- New Orleans, LA::
- South Carolina::
- your city
- your city
- your city
- Paris, France:: August 18th, 2017:: Hosted by Catherine Just.
Attendance in this year long project is $333.00
$111.00 deposit secures your spot. With 2 more payments of $111.00 before the event happens in your city of choice. There are no refunds.
You can pay HERE and an email will be sent to you confirming your payment and the city of your choice.
10 spots open in each location.
I'm so looking forward to capturing breath on film and experiencing my 30th year connecting and creating unique one of a kind artwork with you.
You will be asked to sign a model release as photos may be used in an upcoming Gallery show and Published in a Book.
SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER TO FIND OUT WHEN CITIES ARE SCHEDULED